George Lucas bans David Prowse, actor who portrayed Darth Vader on screen, from all Star Wars events
By Nick Klopsis
DAILY NEWS WRITER
Saturday, July 17th 2010, 10:28 AM
The force is not with David Prowse.
The actor – known among Star Wars fans as the man who portrayed Darth Vader in the original trilogy – has been banned from attending official fan conventions and cast reunions after reportedly “annoying” director George Lucas.
While James Earl Jones is credited with supplying the Sith Lord’s baritone voice, Prowse was the man behind the mask in the first three Star Wars movies.
According to his website, Prowse has been banned from “Lucas Film associated events,” and that “After enquiring, the only thing I have been told is that I have ‘burnt too many bridges between Lucas Film and myself’ – no other reason given.”
The ban appears to be the latest blow in a long-running feud between Lucas and Prowse. Prowse had been promised to be both seen and heard at the end of the trilogy when Vader’s mask is removed, The Sun reports. However, Lucas used a different actor instead, upsetting Prowse.
In addition, the 75-year-old Prowse claims Lucas accused him of leaking Vader’s death before the release of “Return of the Jedi.” He also claims he did not receive his fair share of the box office revenue for the final film.
“Dave never received much money for his role and was always shoved to the side,” a friend told The Sun. “He believes he’s been an embarrassment or annoying to Lucas.
“But he lives for conventions. So to strip this from him, too, is heartbreaking.”