The actor, who played the Wookiee in the original trilogy, will reprise his role in Disney and Lucasfilm’s sequel.
The trio of new leads for Star Wars: Episode VII has yet to be revealed, but an actor from the original franchise is returning to reprise his role.
Peter Mayhew will play Chewbacca for Disney and Lucasfilm’s upcoming sequel, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.Mayhew played the legendary Wookiee and Han Solo’s co-pilot in the original trilogy, beginning with Star Wars Episode IV – A New Hope in 1977. Rumors recently surfaced that he was reprising his role after he canceled an upcoming appearance at Texas convention Comicpalooza “due to filming.” Since the convention takes place May 23-26, many fans wondered if that meant the actor would be busy with Episode VII.
Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn revealed on April 2 that the new Star Wars had already begun filming and most of the cast was set. “We have a lot of them [in place],” he said about the main actors, whose names have not been disclosed. “We’re just not completely done yet.”
Star Wars: Episode VII, to be directed by J.J. Abrams and slated to hit theaters Dec. 18, 2015, has been shrouded in a thick veil of secrecy, with dozens of names flying through the rumor mill for months now. THR reported that Adam Driver will be playing an undisclosed villain. Original stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher also are said to be reprising their roles.
In March, Walt Disney CEO Bob Igersaid the new project would begin filming in May and will be set 30 years after the events in 1983’s Return of the Jedi. “There will be some very familiar faces along with a trio of new young leads,” he said during Disney’s annual shareholder’s meeting in Portland, Ore.
Mayhew, who also played Chewbacca in prequel film Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, has mainly spent his career playing the iconic character, but also appeared in the horror film Terror and did voice work in the British version of Dragon Ball GT: A Hero’s Legacy.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter, 9:55 AM PST 1/31/2014 by Tatiana Siegel
Warner Bros. also announced that Jeremy Irons is set to play Alfred in the Zack Snyder film.
Warner Bros. has found its Lex Luthor.
Jesse Eisenberg has been set to star as the comic-book super-villain, while Jeremy Irons will play Bruce Wayne’s trusted friend, ally and mentor Alfred in the upcoming Zack Snyder untitled Superman-Batman film.
The casting of Lex Luthor has spawned rumors for months, with everyone from Bryan Cranston to Joaquin Phoenix said to be in the mix. Ben Affleck will play Batman, while Henry Cavill reprises his Man of Steel starring role as Superman. Gal Gadot has been cast as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince.
“Lex Luthor is often considered the most notorious of Superman’s rivals, his unsavory reputation preceding him since 1940,” Snyder said in a statement. “What’s great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He’s a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions.”
As for Irons’ casting, Snyder called the role, “an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman.” He added, “It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne.”
As THR first reported, the new film is currently being written by Chris Terrio, from a screenplay by David S. Goyer. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Wesley Coller, Goyer and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers. The film is set to open worldwide on May 6, 2016.
Production is expected to get under way in the spring in Detroit.
Eisenberg is best known for his starring role as Mark Zuckerberg in David Fincher‘s The Social Network. He also starred in Woody Allen‘s To Rome with Love and Louis Letterier‘s Now You See Me. He next appears in The Double and Night Moves.
Irons’ recent work includes playing the villainous Pope Rodrigo Borgia in Neil Jordan’s acclaimed Showtime series The Borgias.
Man of Steel’s co-stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane are set to return.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Richard Dreyfuss jokes that he was up for the part, while “Gigli” jokes and suggestions of roles for Matt Damon and Jennifer Lopez run rampant.
The cat’s out of the bag, bat-fans. Ben Affleck will don the cowl for 2015’s Man of Steel follow-up, the first time Batman and Superman will be united on the big screen.
Hollywood fans on Twitter have their own take on the Argo Oscar winner tackling yet another superhero role after 2003’s Daredevil and 2006’s Hollywoodland.
It’s hard to believe this is something people would be opinionated about. (Kidding.) Josh Gad declared the casting was “genius!” while Richard Dreyfus joked he was up for the role, tweeting: “You read for a part, you feel good about it, you feel confident, then they cast Ben Affleck.”
Others recommended pairings with old Affleck collaborators, with British actor Robert Kazinsky suggesting Matt Damon for the Joker and film critic Stephen Whitty rather unkindly opining Jennifer Lopez should be cast as Catwoman to “torpedo the whole thing.”
As for Affleck, he has yet to tweet. But a Ben Affleck Batman parody Twitter account popped up and quickly amassed 12,000 followers. It’s been sending messages worthy of a superhero: “I am proud to serve the people of Gotham. And the people are proud to have me.”
Find more tweets below. We’ll be riding the bat wave and updating throughout the evening.
Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George Lucas‘ Lucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise that will now continue on. The companies have targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7, with Episode 8 and Episode 9 to follow as the the long-term plan is to release a new feature every two or three years. “The last Star Wars movie release was 2005’s Revenge Of The Sith– and we believe there’s substantial pent-up demand”, Disney said. The deal also includes rights to the Indiana Jones franchise.
The stock and cash transaction is worth an estimated $4.05 billion, and the companies have scheduled a conference call today to discuss the deal, which was approved by the Disney board and Lucas, the sole Lucasfilm shareholder. (UPDATE: Disney’s Iger: Three New ‘Star Wars’ Movies Mapped Out; TV Plans Too)
As for the new Star Wars installments, the companies said Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy would be executive producer on Episode 7 and any additional Star Wars movies, and Lucas would serve as creative consultant. There was no indication about where the story would pick up, though technically in the franchise’s chronology it would follow Star Wars: Episode 6 — Return Of The Jedi, the third film in the initial trilogy that came out in 1983.
As part of the deal, Kennedy will become president of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn. Kennedy, who was made Lucasfilm co-chairman June 1 as heir apparent to Lucas, will also serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, whose feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date. That doesn’t take into account the franchise’s massive merchandising clout that Disney CFO Jay Rasulo said will generate in 2012 close to the $215 million in consumer product revenue Marvel had when Disney bought that comics business in 2009.
Disney has built its business under chairman and CEO Bob Iger around such major acquisitions as Marvel, Pixar, ABC and ESPN.
“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” Iger said in a release announcing the deal. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”
Disney is paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing based on Disney’s stock price on October 26. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm chairman and founder Lucas.
“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said Lucas. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”
Lucasfilm’s businesses include live-action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio postproduction. Disney also acquires the technologies from the San Francisco-based company, which operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light + Magic, and Skywalker Sound.
Mattel Ghostbusters™ Dana as Zuul ($25)
“There is no Dana, only Zuul!” Our long-awaited 6” figure of Dana Barrett as Zuul from the first Ghostbusters™ features authentic, film-accurate sculpting right down to her golden gown. And, with two interchangeable lower bodies she can stand or, when she tires of waiting for the coming of Gozer, sit on the included bench display.
WTFFriday, By Jesus Diaz
George Lucas Now Says That Han NEVER Shot First As He Shoves Star Wars 3D Down Your Throat
I hate history revisionists, but not as much as I hate George Lucas for making Han shoot last. Now, with Star Wars 3D coming, he’s now saying that the scene modification wasn’t a change. He claims that Han NEVER shot first:
The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn’t. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.
George, how do you have the thermal detonators to try to rewrite history in this way? Do you think we are stupid? Wasn’t it enough to paint that stupid laser blast coming at a stupid angle from Greedo? Do you really think that, if Greedo shot first, he would have missed Han at point blank?
No, George, you can draw all the lasers you want and add all the wider shots you want, but you can’t rewrite history. If Greedo had shot first in that scene setting you directed, Han would be dead, period. Nobody can miss at that distance. Not even a stormtrooper.
Most of the fun with trailer mashups comes from the unlikely juxtapositions, and it’s hard to get more likely than Frank Miller’s Sin City crossing with virtually the entire history of Disney animated films, including Beauty and the Beast, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians and more. [Via Topless Robot]